The venue of XIX Czech-Polish seminar will be Telc, Czech Republic.
The symposium will be held in the Hotel Anton, Slavatovska street 92, 588 56 Telc.
(Courtesy of VirtualCzech.cz)
Telc is one of the most appealing towns in the Czech Republic, famous for its 16th-century Renaissance architecture. The remarkable town square will create an instant fairytale impression with its shaped façades, covered arcades and walkways, surrounded on three sides by medieval fish ponds. Walking across the narrow stone bridges and through the imposing gates is like time-travelling through the centuries. Since 1992, the town of Telc has been registered on the UNESCO's List of World Cultural Heritage sites.
According to the legend, the foundation of Telc is connected with the victory of the Moravian duke Otto II over the Czech duke Bretislav in 1099, who established there a chapel and later a church and community called Old Town today. In 14th century it became a royal stronghold, as a water fort with an important position on crossroads of busy merchant routes between Bohemia, Moravia and Austria. Jindrich of Hradec started foundation of a new Telc around 1340, Menhart of Hradec built the castle, church, water fortification and Gothic houses around the large marketplace. The town was granted the right to hold annual markets by Charles IV, but later it suffered from fire (1386) and Hussites rebellion (1423). The recovery of the town took quite a long time. In the 15 century, the town was awarded additional privileges (fairs, brewing and sale of salt) and the rich nobleman Zacharias of Hradec took over the Telc estate. He organised the renovation of the Gothic castle and building a new palace in Renaissance style (Italian architect Baldassare Maggi of Arogno), built the hospital, water mains and new ponds and trades, but died without male offspring. The last lady of the family brought her husband, Vilem Slavata (victim of the famous 2nd Prague Defenestration, marking the outbreak of the 30-years’ war) to the Telc estate. In 1645 the region suffered quite seriously from Swedish occupation. After the 30-years’ war the owner Countess of Meggau invited Jesuits to built a college (1655), a new church of the Name of Jesus (1667), hostel of St. Angels, cemetery at Podolí (1676), Jesuit Latin Grammar School, pharmacy and a meteorological centre. Since 1762, Telc estate was managed by the family Podstatsky-Lichtensteins until 1945, when the last members of the family were expelled to Austria. In 1773 rights of the Jesuit Order were cancelled (reform of the Emperor Joseph II) and later also the Grammar School (germanisation), church of the Holy Spirit and some other chapels. In 19th century begun the industrialization (cloth factory with up to 600 employees) and later a Czech national revival with several associations (Civic Beseda, Omladina, Sokol, National Unity). In 1898 the first railway was constructed, also to Austria. However, the inner town has always kept its beautiful charm of the 15th century.
The houses on the main square in the Old Town today are mainly in combination of the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque style. The former Jesuit hostel (No. 2) from 1655 is now a University centre. The Jesuit Latin Grammar School (No. 3) from 1774 is still a school. The Town Hall (No. 10) from 1574, partially in Gothic style with an architectural rarity – pilasters pass without interruption from the pillars right through to the height to the ledge capital. Town house (No. 15) has a sgraffito on Biblical motives, restored in 1952. House No 48 was rebuilt in Baroque style. Renaissance houses Nos. 54 and 55 have the attic floor and dented battlement with sgraffito. No. 57 is a renaissance house with Baroque front with sculpture decoration by Kaspar Ober. No. 59 is a most typical Baroque house with practically cut chasuble attic window. The house No. 61 from 1532 has a sgraffito showing the leaders of Old Testament fights.
Nowadays, visiting the Telc Chateau is also highly recommended (Renaissance halls with beautiful wooden panel ceilings, Knight Hall with Renaissance jewel box, Blue Hall, Golden Hall), Gallery of the famous painter Jan Zrzavy).
To get an impression about the historical town of Telc, you can try a Virtual reality tour.
Telc is located in an upland area of extraordinary nature values. The hilly countryside attracts by its simple beauty enhanced by little woods, rock formations, numerous ponds and flooded quarries. The area is a home of rare animal and plant species. Ponds, undulated countryside and typical village architecture make up a unique composition with the town. Lovers of hiking will appreciate number of marked paths.
The hotel Anton, in which our seminar takes place, was originally a cooperative distillery (Lihovar) from the 16th century, where the spirits were fermented from potatoes. Later it became a part of the Telc estate and even after nationalization in 1945 it became a part of the organization for the manufacture of the potato-derived spirits, later also slivovitz and brandy. In 1977 a reconstruction was started which was, however, never finished and the building decayed until 1995, when the Anton family bought the ruin, in fact designated for demolition. They organized a comprehensive reconstruction with the aim of constructing a fully accessible hotel complex (architect M. Klang) while preserving its original features (see the restaurant, conference and recreation areas, and the accommodation facilities). The Red Salon is in the oldest part of the building with original vaulted ceiling and thick stone walls, built in a style of wine cellar and a direct access to Atrium. The Conference Hall is equipped with modern conference facilities; however, it can be used also for meetings or leisure purposes.
|Last update 22 April 2010 by||HOME|